Tuesday 1 December 2009

'Fashion Marriage'


So the new Jimmy Choo collection for H&M has been named the new ' fabulous Fashion Marriage.' However I can not help but feel that a small part of the appeal of the infamous Jimmy Choo shoe has somewhat died.

I guess you are either a bag or shoe girl. I am definitely a shoe girl, with a wardrobe full of neatly boxed shoes for every occasion. However I have not caught the hysteria for the new Jimmy Choo and H&M collaboration.

Why?

Why buy H&M shoes, just because it has the 'Jimmy Choo' label on it? Is the whole appeal of designer shoes, such as Jimmy Choo, that unattainable allusion for the average women? The dream that one day, just like Carrie Bradshaw, you too will have a whole wardrobe full of Jimmy Choos, Louboutin's, Manolo Blahnik... The excitement for me will be the day that I have my own, 'real' pair, not a pair from H&M, that anyone could have. It would be like buying a fake. For example, the Fake designer bags you can buy from the market, may look OK, but the feel would not be the same. Why settle for the fake OK, when the real could one day be obtained? Could this be the end of the top designers? Are we looking to only a high street future? With almost the abolishment of couture, could high end designers be going the same way?
I appreciate the design and for some the elegance, of the Jimmy Choos H&M collection, yet I just feel that he is only making his shoes more accessible, which almost now makes the originals less appealing. Anyone can now own there own pair of Jimmy Choos. Is the unobtainable to the masses, not one of the attractions for the customer of a high end designers?


This just feels like another example in which fashion is become more commercial and less artist. Surely Jimmy Choo has enough of a reputation and publicity without needing to branch into the High Street? Is Mr Choo feeling the pinch of the credit crunch? Or am I just stuck in the past and not looking into future success? Purhaps an even great influence of the High Street?



1 comment:

  1. I'm not so keen on this marriage either. The only pair I've remotely liked are some snake-print studded numbers and I don't even know what season they're from!

    ReplyDelete